New Incentives – All Babies are Equal (NI-ABAE) implements evidence-based programming to save lives in a manner that does the most good per dollar. We have been providing small cash incentives to caregivers in northern Nigeria in order to increase vaccination rates since 2017.
NI-ABAE works in over 2,900 clinics throughout Katsina, Jigawa, Zamfara, Bauchi, Sokoto, and Gombe states. When caregivers bring their infant in for their routine immunizations at a government clinic, we provide a small cash incentive (between ₦500 and ₦2,000) and information about their next immunization visit. A randomized control trial has shown that the program doubles the rate of fully vaccinated infants in areas where it operates. Our team has over 1,900 employees, with 1,700 of them being based in Nigeria. We are rapidly scaling our program, so the team will continue to grow.
We are seeking a growth-oriented and experienced individual that will be responsible for directing and coordinating all Human Resource functions and will provide leadership, direction, plans, and decision-making for the HR department in accordance with the strategic goals of NI-ABAE. The HR Director will report to the COO. Key areas of responsibilities include, but are not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; training and development; recruitment; onboarding and outgoing procedures; employee relations and turnover; as well as policy development and compliance.
Recruitment and Hiring
- Manage the hiring process to ensure consistency across departments and appropriate communication among all staff members
- Review and approve hiring, performance improvement, and training decisions from the HR team
- Recruit high quality candidates, negotiate compensation, and onboard new staff members for New Incentives, while supporting efforts for ABAE
Strategic and Organizational Planning
- Plan and implement human resource-related initiatives that support organizational strategic goals
- Plan, lead, develop, coordinate, and implement policies, processes, trainings, initiatives, and surveys to support the organization’s human resource compliance and strategy needs
- Conduct research and analysis of organizational trends, including review of reports and metrics from the organization’s human resource information system (HRIS) or talent management system
Employee Engagement and Development
- Facilitates professional development, training, and certification activities for staff members and the leadership team
- Research and revise salary scales to standardize salary ranges across the organization
- Assist in initiatives oriented around team building and promoting the organization's culture and values
- Conduct field visits to gain exposure to the program and develop a comprehensive understanding of the program and organizational culture
Administrative and Compliance
- Review HR policies related to both New Incentives (NI) and All Babies Are Equal Initiative (ABAE) and provide recommendations
- Oversee and improve the Annual Appraisal processes
- Understand, interpret, and share relevant laws related to personnel management and ensure all HR processes and actions comply with these laws
- Ensuring that staff members adhere to the guidelines in the Employee Handbook and the Disciplinary Actions Policy
- Anticipate and mitigate litigation risks and increase effectiveness of budget allocations for performance improvement and staff motivation
- Performs other duties as required
New Incentives is looking to fill this role with someone who is experienced, resourceful, and is comfortable working in a remote environment with candid feedback.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required; Masters degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of comprehensive and progressive HR experience with a proven Human Resources Generalist career track.
- Minimum of three years of management/supervisory experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, direct and delegate HR operations.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and modifying existing HR policies and procedures and effectively communicating them to staff.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, effectively managing multiple tasks simultaneously, and comfortable taking on responsibility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Comfortable in an environment that embraces evaluation and quality improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive matters.
- Ability to take initiative and creatively problem solve.
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of individuals in different locations and time zones to meet project objectives within established timelines
- Comfortable working with or learning computer applications, experience with Google Workspace.
- Experience with ADP and/or Zoho is preferred.
What you can expect from this role:
- An opportunity to work with an innovative team that was recently recognized as one of the most cost-effective charities in the world
- A job that will directly lead to many lives being saved by preventing the spread of dangerous diseases through uptake of childhood vaccinations
- Working under the direct supervision of the Chief Operating Officer
- An opportunity to work with a highly accountable and passionate team
- A healthy work-life balance
- The flexibility of working remotely for most of the year
- A position with significant growth opportunities
We invite applicants who are highly motivated, detail oriented, and have demonstrated a good fit with the organization's principles of accountability, diligence, and cost-effectiveness. In this role, you will receive significant responsibility and will be responsible for delivering consistently. This role is only for those who are able to meet the challenges of a quickly growing organization running a pioneering program with unique execution. If you succeed in this role, there will be significant opportunities to grow.
Deadline for the application is 14 February 2023. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis and are encouraged to apply sooner.